Apple Crumb Muffins
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 medium sized apples such as Gala or Granny Smith, peeled and chopped in 1/2” pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line 12 cup muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the crumb topping. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons of melted butter, mixing with a fork until well blended.
3. Make the batter: in a large bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla and brown sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
5. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in apples. Use a large ice-cream scoop to fill each muffin well, filling the cups to the top.
6. Sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed. Cool on wire rack. Store at room temperature.