Pear Almond Tart
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cubed and chilled
1 large egg yolk, save the egg white
1 stick of butter, room temperature
2/3 c granulated sugar
5 ½ oz almond flour ( about 1 ¼ cups)
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe but firm pears, such as Bosc
1-2 tablespoons raw sugar
couple pinches of ground cardamom
1. Blend flour, powdered sugar, almonds, and salt in processor until nuts are finely ground.
2. Add butter and pulse until peasize.
3. Mix in egg yolk. Pulse, until dough comes together in clumps. If you need to, use some of the egg white aswell.
4. Gather dough into ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hours. Can be made 2 days ahead.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F.
6. Roll out chilled dough on floured sheet of parchment paper to 12 inch round, lifting and turning dough occasionally so it won’t stick. Turn dough into 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom; peel off paper. Seal any cracks in dough. Trim overhang. Dock crust all over with fork. Freeze crust for 10 minutes.
7. Line sides of tart with foil. Bake crust until sides are set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake crust until sides are golden and bottom is set, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 10 minutes longer. Cool crust in pan on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
1. Combine all the ingredients for the filling, blend until smooth and even.
2. Spread almond filling evenly in crust.
3. Cut each pear in half lengthwise; scoop out cores. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Gently press each pear half to fan slices but keep slices tightly overlapped. Use the back of a knife and pick up pears and arrange on top of almond filling.
4. Sprinkle top with some raw sugar and ground cardamom.
5. Bake tart until golden and pears have soften, 20-30 minutes. Cool tart in pan on rack. Push pan bottom up, releasing tart from pan. Cut tart into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.